We have found an astonishing lack of experience with FASD exists in the UK educational system. We take resources with us to every meeting. We will continue to update this section.
- Teaching a Student with FASD, PDF of a booklet available from NOFAS-UK, drawing on Dr. Carolyn Blackburn’s frameworks (see below).
- 6 Things Educators and School Staff Should Know About FASD, Oregon Behaviour Consultation video – one of the best summaries out there!
- Supporting Students with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders, explains FASD, its impact on the brain, behavioural patterns in students with FASD. Strategies for designing classroom instruction and routines to support students with FASD are also highlighted. The resource was developed by Dr. Jacqueline Pei, Stephanie Hayes and Alethea Heudes as a component of Professionals without Parachutes.
- Teaching Students with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders: Building Strengths, Creating Hope, Alberta Learning, 2004
- Primary Framework: Teaching and Learning Strategies to Support Primary Aged Students with FASD, by Carolyn Blackburn, NOFAS UK, 2010.
- Secondary Framework: Teaching and Learning Strategies to Support Secondary Aged Students with FASD, by Carolyn Blackburn, NOFAS UK, 2010.
- SSATrust – Complex learning difficulties and disabilities research project: FASD Briefing Packs (includes excellent short classroom support sheet to give teachers)
- Teaching Students with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders: A Resource Guide for Florida Educators, Florida State University Center for Prevention & Early Intervention Policy April 2005.
- Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and Educational Strategies, Prepared by Darla Hess, M.Ed., Instructional Specialist, Emory University Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Research Project, in collaboration with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Emory School of Public Health: Epidemiology.
- Reach to Teach: Educating Elementary and Middle School Children with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders, US Center for Substance Abuse Prevention, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 2007.
- Take Another Look: A Guide on Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders for School Psychologists and Counselors, Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD) Workgroup, Council on Children and Families, NY,
- Teaching about time
- A Neurologist Makes the Case for Teaching Teachers About the Brain
- What Educators Need to Know about FASD (slideshow), by Healthy Child Manitoba
- Mathematics Instruction for Children with Fetal Alcohol
Spectrum Disorder: A Handbook for Educators (PowerPoint), by Carmen Rasmussen, PhD and Katy Wyper, BSc, Department of Pediatrics, University of Alberta
- FASD and Art Therapy: An Exploratory Review, by Erin Rafferty-Bugher and Jerrod Brown
- Hey Teacher! A pamphlet for teachers from ww.fan.org.nz
- Cause and Effect/Impulsivity, Provincial Outreach Program for FASD, Uses an interview with a classroom teacher. Provides strategies for helping students who have difficulty with cause and effect and impulsivity.
- Slow Processing – A video by POPFASD, focusing on difficulties with processing and auditory pace, with suggestions for how teachers can make needed accommodations.
- Foetal alcohol spectrum disorder (FASD) support sheets, fact sheets for teachers, TAs, etc from SSAT Complex Learning Difficulties and Disabilities (CLDD) Research Project, provided by Axcis Education.
Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders Education Strategies: Working with Students with a Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder in the Education System, by Kristen Blaschke, M.A. Marcia Maltaverne, M.A., Judy Struck, M.A., National Organization on Fetal Alcohol Syndrome – South Dakota (NOFAS-SD) Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders Institute, Center for Disabilities, Department of Pediatrics, Sanford School of Medicine of The University of South Dakota
See also the FASD UK YouTube Channel educational videos playlist.